Baseball season is in full swing! The two New York teams have some of the greatest and most committed fans out there.
Here are some interesting facts about the Mets and Yankees!
- They are the 2015 National League Champions
- They could have been called the Bees! It was one of the options when thinking of a team name among the Islanders, the Continentals, the Meadowlarks and the Avengers, and others.
- The Mascot was once a mule
- They have been in three out of the 10 longest games in MLB history
- The Mets insignia incorporates a number of regional elements. For example, the bridge represents the five boroughs, a church spire on the far left symbolizes Brooklyn.
- Harry Chiti was acquired from the Cleveland Indians on April 25, 1962 for a player to be named later. The player to be named later… was Chiti. He was traded for himself.
- The Yankees have won 27 World Series Championships
- They were the first team in MLB hisoty to hit three Grand Slams by one team in the same game in 2011
- Babe Ruth and Reggie Jackson are the only players to hit three home runs in a world series game
- Yogi Berra wan a record 10 World Series as a Yankee player and appeared in 75 Fall Classic games, the most of all time.
- Whitney Ford is one of two pitches who pitched 146 innings in his World Series career.
- In 1903—1913 the team name was the Highlanders, it was then changed to the Yankees.